Signs and Symptoms of a Twin Pregnancy
Are you having twins? Twin pregnancy symptoms can be more intense particularly with fatigue and morning sickness. Keep in mind that not only is every person different, but every pregnancy can defer and the chances for twins are different for everybody.
There are those lucky few who breeze through a twin pregnancy.
Having that first ultrasound is the sure fire way to conclusively prove you are having twins. Your first twins ultrasound is usually done at about 12 weeks; you may have a scan earlier for various reasons one being to confirm gestation. Some women worry about a hidden twin, this is very uncommon. With high order multiple pregnancies there can sometimes be a miscount of babies.
Occasionally a twin pregnancy is discovered very early on, with no obvious complications and later only one baby and one heartbeat is found, this is called vanishing twin syndrome
High AFP – Alpha Fetoprotein Test Results
A blood test for AFP measures the protein released by the liver of the fetus. High levels can indicate abnormalities with the neural tube and genetic defects like Down Syndrome and Spina Bifida, this could also be added to your twin pregnancy symptoms, two or more babies mean more protein released into the mothers blood. An ultrasound is usually the next step with a high AFP test result to investigate.
High hCG Levels – Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
hCG or human chorionic gonadotropin is detectable in blood and urine, higher levels can be found in pregnant women just over a week into pregnancy. High hCG levels can reveal more twin pregnancy symptoms though this is not conclusive, singleton pregnancies for various reasons can also have high levels. You are likely to have a test to confirm your pregnancy when you have had fertility treatment or IVF. Some fertility drugs containing hCG may affect these levels.
A very positive pregnancy test in the early days of pregnancy can also be a sign of twins. The test is used to detect your hCG levels in a urine sample. A very positive result means; obvious markings, a definite line or plus sign rather than a faint one.
Baby Doppler Finds Two
When your health care provider uses a Baby Doppler to detect the heartbeat, two individual beats could be found. Of course this can be a tricky task as babies move around, though the rhythm of each heartbeat can differ and this is how twins could be suspected.
Measuring Large for Gestational Age
This measurement is made from top of the pelvic bone to the top of the uterus which starts low in your abdomen and eventually moves up into your rib cage. If you are measuring larger for your gestation, twins could be on the cards.
Early and rapid weight gain in the first few weeks (first few weeks of your First Trimester) can point towards twin pregnancy symptoms. This is due to the extra blood and fluid your body is producing to support you and your two babies.
The average weight gain for twins is about 10 lbs more than with a singleton. Of course it does depend on your diet at the time so extra weight gain may be the food choices you have been making.
Severe Morning Sickness
Though it’s known as morning sickness it can happen at any time of the day. Morning sickness is said to be caused by the hormone hCG, this can cause intense sickness when having twins, with or without vomiting. Keep in mind that not all women experience morning sickness whether for single or multiple pregnancy. You will usually notice it starting to fade by the second trimester. If you are really struggling talk to your doctor especially if you are having trouble eating or keeping anything down.
Helpful tips to ease Morning Sickness:
- Ginger is a natural remedy, try eating ginger cookies, I always kept these at arm’s length.
- Eating a well balanced diet and light exercise will ease those queasy feelings.
- Drinking plenty of water is always important and will keep you hydrated especially if you are vomiting.
- In the morning try eating a cracker or very plain cookie before getting out of bed, then slowly get up to your feet.
During the first trimester your body is working even harder to help grow and take care of your two babies, resulting in a very tired mommy to be. Rest whenever you can.
Early Fetal Movements
Feeling movements inside your belly is exciting; this is my favorite part of pregnancy. Some say women expecting twins can feel those flutters earlier; generally this is only when the mother has been pregnant before and knows what to feel for. It has been told that women can feel these movements as early as 14 weeks.
I felt movements at about 14 – 15 weeks, but keep in my that having twins was my second pregnancy.
You may have a gut feeling possibly due to family history or just women’s intuition that you are having twins; this can be a powerful feeling so talk with your doctor if you think you have a twin pregnancy.
Other Signs of Early Pregnancy:
**These are symptoms of pregnancy and not necessarily twin pregnancy symptoms**
- A missed period is often your first suspicion of being pregnant especially if you are very regular, a pregnancy test can be done which is about 99% effective. Take two or three if you want to be sure, your doctor can also do a blood test to confirm this. Keep in mind that although it is rear it is possible to menstruate whilst pregnant.
- Breast tenderness is common with impending menstruation but growing breast is not, you may be pregnant, with twins? Tenderness and swelling is caused by the increase of hormone levels during pregnancy, as your breasts start to prepare for nursing.
- Vaginal discharge known as white flow or leukorrhea is a common pregnancy symptom. Typically has no odor and white in appearance.
- Pelvic cramping and/or slight bleeding is normal as the embryos implant in your uterus.
- Urinating more often usually between 6 and 8 weeks is also a common indicator.
Speak to your health care provider
The possible twin pregnancy symptoms you have can sometimes indicate other issues so always talk to your health care provider regarding any concerns.