Having Twins

IVF and Twin Pregnancy

Twins are always of curiosity and often the question is asked “Are they natural or IVF twins?” to mothers who have a twin pregnancy. Whether our beautiful babies were conceived the old fashioned way or through IVF, does it really make a difference? In my opinion, no it doesn’t matter we love them all the same.

A Bit About the IVF Process

The IVF process can seem over whelming so read this basic step by step guide. There are five steps to the IVF process, these include:

 

Step 1 – Ovarian Stimulation
Fertility medications will be prescribed. This is to stimulate the healthy development of eggs and increase the chance of multiple eggs being produced for collection. The fertility drugs give can have some side effects like pelvic discomfort, tender breasts and mood swings. This process will be monitored by ultrasound to check the ovaries, as well as blood (or urine) tests to check hormone levels.

 

Step 2 – Collection of Eggs
The procedure of retrieving the eggs is referred to as follicular aspiration. With the use of an ultrasound for visibility a hollow needle is inserted through the pelvic cavity, the eggs are collected, rinsed and then stored in an IVF incubator. A local anesthesia is given to help with discomfort during this process. Afterwards there may be some cramping usually for the first day only.

 

Step 3 – Sperm
The guy will ‘collect’ his sperm either during the egg retrieval or before hand and then frozen for later use.

 

Step 4 – Fertilization and Embryo Growth
After step three, you will go home while the egg and sperm are combined, a process called insemination. Once the sperm has been injected into the egg they will be monitored by a embryologist who will confirm that fertilization has occurred. Successful inseminations will graduate to the embryo status.

 

Step 5 – Embryo Transfer
After a few days, between one and six days, the embryo transfer is ready to go. This is usually when the embryo has two, three or four cells, each clinic will have they own procedures and may vary on when they recommend implantation. During this process a catheter is inserted through the vagina to the womb which is likely to be directed by an ultrasound. Drinking a few glasses of water will help the doctor’s to see your uterus more easily.

 

What Next?

It’s basically a waiting game from now on. Waiting for pregnancy signs, resting, then blood tests and an ultrasound to find out whether you are pregnant.

IVF and a Twin Pregnancy – Myths and Facts

 

Myth: In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) will result in a multiple birth.

Fact: A study conducted in Europe resulted in 78.2% success in singleton pregnancies, 21% were twin pregnancies and less than 1% led to triplets which was the highest number of babies.

 

Myth: In Vitro Fertilization will result in a multiple birth such as twins, triplets or more.

Fact: A study conducted in Europe resulted in 78.2% success in singleton pregnancies, 21% were twin pregnancies and this than 1% led to triplets which was the highest number of babies at one time.

 

Myth: Infertility is a women’s issue.

Fact: It’s almost equally divided by one-third each between the female and male. The remaining third is either a problem with both the male and female or an unidentifiable explanation.

 

Myth: In Vitro Fertilization is an unnatural way to become pregnant.

Fact: In fact In Vitro Fertilization is the most natural way to become pregnant when there is a problem with either the female or male. This is because all that’s really happening is combining the egg and sperm together, which each body (in usual circumstances) naturally does. Basically it’s just a little bit of help in that very natural process.

 

Myth: Infertility can always be resolved with this type of procedure.

Fact: Statically the odds are in your favor with about 66% of patients having a baby. So when people say always this is not true as the remaining 34% do not result in a pregnancy with In Vitro Fertilization. But in no way is this your last and only option.

 

Myth: Infertility issues only affects older people.

Fact: It’s true that age can be one factor when it comes to infertility. But even couples in their twenties have a chance of needing fertility treatments like In Vitro Fertilization to become pregnant.

 

Myth: It can be very dangerous.

Fact: Experts say there are very few serious complications during the entire In Vitro Fertilization process. Of course, as with all medical treatments there are some risks.